Friday, November 9, 2007

Awaken

Is this my country anymore?

All around me I can see people ask themselves this very question.

I believe I am a part of the golden generation of youth, deemed to be carrying the hopes of progress and glory of the nation on my shoulders along with those around me. I believe I am as much a part of the promise to my country as everyone around me is. Or am I?

If we are those touted to be proud sons and daughters of this country, to glorify it, and bring it success, then why do I sense a growing wave of cynicism amongst us? Why are so many of us choosing to pursue dreams outside this country? Why are so many of us disillusioned with the hopes of finding justice? Why are so many of us dreaming of embracing the west?

To me, those of us guilty of the above have committed the greatest sin against the hopes placed on our shoulders - Acceptance.

We have shaken our heads and resigned to a state of passive surrender as our ability and our own potential to revolutionize the state of affairs we are so discontent with, ebbs away with our sense of belonging to this truly great nation.

What we require is a burning desire to change what is around us. What we need is the realization that it is indeed US -the youth of the nation, who will decide the fate of this country. What we need, is a strong feeling of renewed patriotism.

But what is patriotism?

Is it embracing the country and shunning all that signifies western culture and its growing stranglehold on our country's youth? Is it patriotic to burn jeans and t-shirts chanting slogans of swadeshi?

To put it simply, no.

Donning a khadi kurta makes me no more Indian as wearing jeans makes me American.

Patriotism as I believe it is, can be found in anyone irrespective of his attire or style statement. I could be as patriotic in a kurta as I could be decked with Levi's and Adidas.

So what is patriotism?

I believe patriotism today must take a whole new meaning.

In a crude but not inappropriate manner, it would be simplest to define patriotism as an overwhelming sense of restlessness.

Patriotism must stem from discontent. This discontent, ought to be directed at he current state of affairs although no to the point of frustration and a potential apostasy of sorts. To me, patriotism is a longing for change and a desire to be part of that change.

Patriotism must involve a shift of thought and rationale. If you don't intend to do anything about the corruption in the bureaucracy of this nation, why scoff in a show of pointless sarcasm? How is your ranting and raving changing the system? Criticism is by no means a method of solution.

I recently got an email forward which rather passionately told me to exercise my right to 'vote no one' as a sign of discontent with the system. Apparently a voter can cast a valid vote to vote for no one. This is verifiably true.

The email called for an awakening of patriots nation-wide. A noble gesture, but more damaging and ignorantly destructive in consequence.

If people actually followed this, of course the message of dissatisfaction would be loud and clear but the action would send the already delicately poised democracy into a downward spiral. There would be political chaos to an unimaginable extent. I ask you, if no one is elected; if you are so dissatisfied, who will you turn to, to voice this opinion? Who would be in office to really care?

The most dangerous threat posed to the success of this generation is a false or mistaken belief. It is better to be passive than be misled by a false sense of patriotism.

The revolution that this country needs is on far too great a scale to take place in a short span of time. The bureaucracy and its shortcomings can only be changed from within.

Unfortunately, I speak for myself and most of my peers, when I say that I lack the will and motivation to become a part of the system. That, is the biggest problem faced by this generation

It is our duty and our obligation to do all we can to bring about a change in this system that many of us have grown to dislike. However, by not doing anything about it, we are merely compounding our woes.

Ask yourself the question again - Is this my country anymore?

I answer you - Yes, and it is now more than ever.

By,
Nikhil Menon

No comments: